Stuffy Nose/Sore Throat Remedy
Cold and Flu Symptoms
A stuffy nose and a sore throat: it’s that telltale combination of symptoms that usually indicates the start of a cold or flu. Not surprisingly, these symptoms often exist alongside one another, like mac and cheese. Or bubbles and baths.
The stuffy feeling you experience when you’re sick is a result of your immune response, which produces mucus as a way of flushing out whatever is causing the irritation– in this case, a cold or flu virus. In addition to causing sinus headaches, drainage of mucus from the sinuses down the back of the throat (otherwise known as ‘post-nasal drip’) can cause a sore throat.
That’s how a cold or flu virus often works – one symptom leads to another which leads to another, creating a host of different ailments. And that’s why a multi-symptom OTC remedy like Contac® Cold + Flu is so effective. The unique combination of a decongestant and a pain-reliever in Contac® Cold + Flu can effectively control your nasal congestion and sore throat in a single dose.
What causes nasal congestion and sore throat?
Nasal congestion is the result of the overproduction of mucus. This often causes post-nasal drip which in turn leads to sore throats. In fact, most sore throats are caused by a cold virus and the post-nasal drip is caused by body’s reaction to the virus.
In addition to using Contac® Cold + Flu as directed to treat your symptoms, you can also treat the combination of nasal congestion and a sore throat by:
- Drinking plenty of water and/or warm liquids.
- Using a humidifier or vaporizer or carefully breathing in steam from a pot on the stove.
- Avoiding spicy or rough-textured foods which can irritate the throat.
- Using warm compresses on your face to relieve discomfort and open your nasal passages.
- Keeping your head elevated while sleeping to facilitate draining and make breathing more comfortable.
- Gargling with warm salt water.
- Avoiding cigarette smoke and odors.
The next time you feel the familiar combination of a sore throat and stuffy nose, reach for Contac® Cold + Flu. We’ve got your most annoying cold symptoms covered.